Here are a few of the songs that inspired scenes in Lilac Girls, and in the case of Emmanuel, the tone of the whole book.
- “O Come O Come Emmanuel” – Mary Elizabeth Kelly (soundcloud)
- “Rangers” – A Fine Frenzy (youtube)
- “Almost Lovers” – A Fine Frenzy (youtube)
- “Winter” – Joshua Radin (youtube)
- “The Fear You Won’t Fall“ – Joshua Radin (youtube)
His music was my original musical inspiration for the book way back when I started writing it. My daughters and I met Joshua in Paris and though already a fan, I became hooked for life.
- “Here We Go“ – Joshua Radin (vimeo)
- “We Are Okay“ – Joshua Radin (youtube)
- “Little Child in a Manger” – Seaphic Fire & Patrick Dupre Quigley (youtube)
Nothing captures the 1940s mood like Seraphic Fire. Love their Christmas album.
- “All My Loving” – The Well Pennies (soundcloud)
Great, fun songs for evoking the happier scenes.
- “I’ve Got Nothing to do Today” – The Well Pennies (youtube)
- “By My Side” – Kara Dunlevy and Mary Elizabeth Kelly (soundcloud)
- “New Slang” – The Shins (youtube)
- “Pompeii” – Bastille (youtube)
This never gets old. Always inspiring. For me, really captures what Lublin, Poland went through in WWII.
- “I Want the World to Stop” – Belle and Sebastian (vimeo)
- “Jump Up Behind Me” – James Taylor (youtube)
Just because it’s amazing and evokes happiness like no other song.
- “Skeleton Key“ – Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos (youtube)
Great for conjuring the feeling of a difficult relationship.
- “Comptine d’un autre ete” – Yann Tierson (youtube)
- “Winter Song” Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson (youtube)